Lytx celebrates 25 years of forging the intersection between safety and technology.
From its inception in 1998, Lytx’s vision has been to help fleets get their drivers safely home to their families through technology.
After the company introduced the original DriveCam device in 1999, a crash recording device for vehicles, Lytx jump-started a new industry and continues to work in the telematics market today.
Lytx Through the Years
Lytx has established itself in the realm of technological progress with over 25 years of experience and has garnered recognition in the form of over 195 issued and pending patents.
Since its introduction in 2015, its machine vision and artificial intelligence (MV+AI) technology have helps the detection of distractions and risks both within and outside of vehicles.
Through its collaborations with thousands of clients and millions of drivers, Lytx remains committed to improving the safety and efficiency of fleets, ultimately resulting in saved lives.
“Since the earliest phase of our relationship, Lytx has been there for us,” said Steve Scannell, Transportation Safety Senior Regional Manager at Walmart. “Over the years, we've come to think of Lytx as a partner rather than just a vendor. They're always there to listen to our needs, helping us solve problems and innovate solutions to help us be safer and stronger.”
Today, Lytx works with more than 5,000 fleets to innovate solutions that benefit the entire industry through Lytx Lab, the industry’s first and only platform where clients connect with our product team directly in their Lytx account.
Additional company milestones include:
- 2001 – The DC2 event recorder is released, Lytx’s first mass-produced product. This is the first ever DriveCam event recorder to offer both in-cab and road-facing views.
- 2002 – Lytx is awarded three patents for the first vehicle data recorder of its kind designed to pinpoint unsafe driving, further strengthening the company’s leadership position within the sector.
- 2008 – The company releases a pattern-recognition software that more accurately identifies risky driving actions, helping clients predict the riskiest drivers within a fleet.
- 2009 – DriveCam Online service launched with a driver management portal with dashboards for hotspot reporting and company-wide visibility. This allows clients to access and view their videos (and other data) more efficiently and securely.
- 2012 – The DC3P, Lytx’s fourth video event recorder, launched with dedicated GPS and the ability to monitor and capture video when a vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit.
- 2015 – The company expanded into its new global headquarters. It introduced the ER-SV2, its fifth event recording device and the first to include its award-winning machine vision and artificial intelligence (MV+AI) technology, helping drivers and fleet managers correct distracting driving as it occurs.
- 2020 – Lytx announced a partnership with Geotab and acquires Surfsight to offer Lytx’s technology and custom solutions to an expanded domestic and global audience.
- 2022 – OEM integration with Daimler Truck North America is announced, bringing Lytx’s state-of-the-art video telematics system and camera solution to select Freightliner and Western Star models.
- 2023 – Lytx grows its driving database to 221 billion miles and expands its network of resellers to 105, with a global footprint spanning 85 countries.
The Next 25 Years
Lytx is investing in the next 25 years with the Lytx Vision Platform, featuring the only API-first platform in the market for building value-added video safety and video telematics applications using MV+AI.
With the help of its video services, big data, and AI expertise, the Lytx Vision Platform equips companies with highly adaptable technology and tools that can be easily integrated with other applications and customized to create unique solutions.
“Innovation is in our DNA,” said Rajesh Rudraradhya, Lytx’s Chief Technology Officer. “From the company’s inception, our relentless drive to advance safety and operational efficiency has led us to introduce cutting-edge technologies that have helped propel the industry to where it is today. Now, 25 years later, we remain committed to breaking new ground, exploring the frontiers of technology, and reinventing ourselves based on the needs of our clients and the industry as a whole.”