The off-road capability known in Chevrolet’s ZR2 badge debuts for the Silverado HD with the introduction of the 2024 Silverado HD ZR2 – the brand’s flagship heavy-duty off-roader. The 2024 Silverado HD ZR2 Bison debuts as part of the Chevy trucks family as well.
According to Chevy, the HD ZR2 and HD ZR2 Bison bring race-proven technologies and enhanced off-road capability to the refreshed 2024 Silverado HD lineup, with the specialized ZR2 Bison featuring equipment from off-road aftermarket manufacturer American Expedition Vehicles.
Production of the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD ZR2 and ZR2 Bison begins later this summer, at General Motors’ Flint Assembly plant in Michigan. Pricing will be announced closer to the start of production.
Chevy Silverado HD & Bison Crew Cabs
Offered exclusively in the 2500 Crew Cab configuration — with the standard 6.6L gasoline engine or available 6.6L Duramax Turbo-Diesel — the Silverado HD ZR2 and HD ZR2 Bison leverage Chevrolet’s off-road racing success.
Whether that’s crawling trails, tackling tough terrain or towing equipment or toys, the Silverado HD ZR2 and HD ZR2 Bison can handle it all.
“The all-new Silverado HD ZR2 and HD ZR2 Bison provide the off-road performance our customers have come to expect from a ZR2, with the towing and payload capabilities our HD customers demand,” said Michael MacPhee, director of Chevrolet Trucks Marketing. “They also expand the Silverado HD lineup, offering more choices for customers to find the perfect truck for work and off-road adventure.”
What's New with the Chevy Silverado HD ZR2?
As for specs?
- The max payload for the Silverado HD ZR2 is 3,397 pounds (gas engine).
- The max trailering rating is 18,500 pounds, when equipped with the available Duramax Turbo-Diesel.
“The Silverado HD ZR2 is for those who want it all: For when you need to haul equipment to the jobsite during the week, then the camper and family off the beaten path on the weekend,” said Sahar Nasif, program engineering manager, Silverado HD ZR2. “It’s for those who want their tow rig to be just as cool as the toys it’s hauling.”
The HD ZR2 features the ZR2 family’s front grille, unique wheel opening moldings featuring integrated mud guards, ZR2 badging on the grille bar, and a higher stance.
Both trucks also wear the “flow-tie” emblem. The suspension is raised approximately 1.5 inches (38 mm), front and rear, compared to other Silverado HD 4WD models.
Its off-road-capable features and content also include:
- Specific front upper and lower control arms and specific steering knuckles
- Multimatic DSSV Dampers
- Larger steel transfer case skid plate and front aluminum skid plate
- Rear e-locker
- 35-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires mounted on 18 x 9-inch aluminum wheels.
HD ZR2 also includes a new Off-Road Mode, which incorporates learnings from the Colorado ZR2 and Silverado 1500 ZR2. When engaged, it adjusts various vehicle calibrations, such as the anti-lock brakes, traction control and stability control, to optimize their performance for off-road driving. In addition, Off-Road Mode alters throttle progression and transmission shifts, and the locking rear axle does not have a speed limitation.
What's New with the Chevrolet ZR2 Bison?
The HD ZR2 Bison was developed in collaboration with AEV to provide a factory package for the most avid off-roaders. It builds on the HD ZR2’s standard features, adding:
- Exclusive gloss black, 18-inch AEV wheels
- Distinctive cut high-approach, stamped-steel front bumper with integrated recovery points and winch provisions
- Unique stamped-steel cut rear bumper with recovery points
- Tough, stamped steel underbody skid plates for the front of the vehicle, steering rack, exhaust and transfer case
- Bison models also receive unique exterior badging and other identifying cues, including the AEV logo on the front-seat head restraints.
Additionally, the HD ZR2 and HD ZR2 Bison benefit from features shared across the Silverado HD range, including the DuraBed cargo box that optimizes every square inch for maximum cargo capability, the corner step rear bumper, BedSteps, power tailgate, a 120-volt power outlet, available six-position Multi-Flex tailgate and more.