With soaring fuel prices and a severe shortage of vehicles and parts, maintaining safe and efficient vehicles has become a priority for all fleets. As a result, many fleet managers are turning to Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports (DVIR) to help them proactively identify and address issues with their vehicles to maximize the efficiency and dependability of their fleet, as well as ensure the safety of their drivers.
The Lytx DVIR Service will be available to all customers as an additional service starting early the third-quarter of 2022.
Lytx DVIR Service is the next offering that will join Lytx’s all-in-one suite of customizable fleet management solutions, which also include video safety, compliance, maintenance, fuel management, asset tracking, and fleet tracking tools. For fleet managers wanting to combine effective tools with a streamlined approach, Lytx DVIR Service will release soon and can be bundled with the company's ELD service or added separately.
What is DVIR?
DVIR is the formal record that confirms a driver has thoroughly inspected their commercial vehicle before and after taking it out on the road. These regular inspections involve drivers checking essential vehicle components and systems (fuel tank, lights, tire pressure, etc.) to ensure their vehicle is being maintained and operated safely.
Lytx notes that DVIR can result in safer vehicles and fewer accidents caused by vehicle malfunctions, but the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) also requires it for all commercial vehicles and vehicles that transport hazardous waste, weighing 10,001 pounds or more, and carry over nine passengers.
Non-compliance with FMCSA regulations can result in large fines, as well as loss of licenses and certifications.
For more on DVIR, please refer to this DVIR Guide.
Lytx DVIR Service
For fleet managers currently using Lytx’s platform and tools, adding DVIR Service will provide a simplified electronic option that includes a customizable checklist that can be accessed through the Lytx Driver App and Lytx Web Account. Areas of concern within a custom checklist, such as service brakes for a vehicle or trailer, can be tracked closely and issues can be reported directly to a mechanic or fleet manager.
Drivers using Lytx DVIR Service can also upload photos and videos (up to 3 seconds) to enhance their reports and help mechanics better understand issues with a vehicle or trailer. Without time-consuming paper reports or having to log into a separate app to access DVIR functionality, drivers can save valuable time by completing their inspections digitally with single sign-on capability within their existing Lytx account, according to the manufacturer.
While many other providers of all-in-one fleet management solutions only offer DVIR service as part of an ELD purchase and workflow, Lytx does not require customers to purchase ELD service to add DVIR. Customers who already own (or choose to add) one of Lytx’s proven solutions can conveniently add DVIR to instantly take advantage of these new tools.
Benefits of Adding Lytx DVIR
In Lytx's 2021 State of the Data report, the company showed how drivers using the Lytx Driver Safety Program experienced fewer collisions, despite an increase in risky driving on the United States roadways in 2021. Armed with this knowledge, Lytx continues its focus on helping to make our roadways and fleets safer.
Fleet managers adding Lytx DVIR Service have seen improvements to the health and safety of their fleets, as well as increased operational efficiencies in ways such as:
- Improved Accessibility – Reports and other records can be accessed electronically (for three months) via a single sign-on to the Lytx Driver App or Lytx Web Account.
- Customized Checklists – Easy-to-use checklists can be customized to account for different vehicle types and used to focus on specific areas of concern on a vehicle or trailer.
- Cost Savings – Fleet managers can help avoid claims costs, maintenance fees, and fines by keeping their vehicles safely maintained and DOT compliant.
- Streamlined Workflow – Digital reporting means less time filling out and sending hardcopy forms.
- Increased Safety – Well-maintained vehicles lead to less overall risk on the roadways, particularly when it comes to accidents resulting from mechanical failure.
- More Uptime – Get the most out of vehicle investments and reduce costly downtime.
- Expedited Repairs – Mechanics can quickly view reports and see images/videos of vehicle malfunctions that need repair, enabling them to resolve issues more efficiently.
- Maintenance Efficiency – For fleets that do not require DOT compliance, Lytx DVIR Service can be used to enhance maintenance programs and scheduling.