August 2, 2023
Truck Chat News Recap [Episode 92]
How does construction spending in the U.S. impact fleets? What regulatory and safety updates are coming that work truck fleets need be aware of? Who filed for bankruptcy? Where is generative AI being used in fleet management? Just how much did the Ford F-150 Lightning price drop? And what events do you need to get on your calendar?
This month in top Work Truck news, Lauren Fletcher, Executive Editor, Fleet & Trucking at Bobit, shares the top work truck and van fleet news as of July 31, 2023:
🎙 Topics covered this month include:
- Construction spending in the U.S. has increased, primarily driven by a shortage of houses for sale and a boost in spending on single-family homebuilding.
- The U.S. Department of Transportation has proposed rules requiring Advanced Emergency Braking (AEB) systems on passenger cars, light trucks, and heavy trucks.
- New green laws and regulations will impact the medium-duty truck market. The post-pandemic market corrections will temporarily flatten demand and growth for commercial vehicles, but introducing new regulations in 2027 will drive accelerated growth through electrification.
- Lordstown Motors has filed for bankruptcy protection due to a disagreement with Taiwanese company Foxconn over a promised investment.
- Geotab has introduced generative AI models into its platform, allowing customers to access on-demand insights on vehicle performance, efficiency, and sustainability.
- Ford is lowering all customers' MSRP of the Ford F-150 Lightning work truck. Improvements in plant capacity, battery raw material costs, and scaling production and cost contribute to the price drops.
- GMC has announced extended driving range improvements for the 2024 GMC Hummer EV 3X Pickup. The range has increased compared to the previous model year, providing customers more mileage on a full charge.
- Mullen has launched PowerUP, a mobile electric vehicle charging truck that offers level 2 and 3 DC fast charging capabilities in scenarios where such power is unavailable. The vehicle is based on a Class 5 truck platform and is available for sale.
- Work Truck eXchange and DeliveryCon are upcoming events for industry professionals. Work Truck eXchange is a platform for commercial fleet professionals to connect and collaborate, while DeliveryCon focuses on solving fleet pain points related to delivery market trends and operational efficiencies.
🤝 Follow and connect with Work Truck on social media!
Prefer to listen?
Did you catch our last video news recap? If not, check it out now, as well as our other Truck Chat videos, and stay in the know on all the top work truck news, trends, and more! Don't forget to register for our eNewsletters and updates so you never miss a thing!