This year was filled with new trucks and equipment for utility workers. We also saw new agreements and a push toward a greener future with several companies.
Here are Work Truck's top utility news stories for 2022.
2022's Top Utility News
1. 2023 Ford Super Duty — New Engines, Advanced Tech
Ford introduced its new 2023 F-Series Super Duty lineup of pickup trucks and chassis cabs in September. Some notable features include Pro Upfit Integration System for body equipment and upfits and a 10-speed TorqShift automatic transmission.
2. Terex, Duke Energy, and Viatec to Electrify Utility Fleets
Terex and Duke Energy have invested in Viatec's Series B. They are working on focusing on simple and reliable plug-in electric PTO solutions that help minimize engine idling, reducing carbon emissions and enabling quieter equipment operation.
3. JLG Expands into Tennessee, Adds Capacity at Three Plants
JLG Industries expanded in Jefferson City, Tennessee in March. The company had a record $3.6 billion in backlog entering in 2022 and used the new 60,000-sq.-ft. space to increase production.
4. CORE Trucks: Taking the Driver's Seat
In "Taking the Driver's Seat," Executive Editor Lauren Fletcher takes a spin behind the new EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles CORE Truck. The video also discusses the enhancements and ease of repair and maintenance of the truck.
5. Terex to Debut All-Electric Bucket Truck at EUFMC
Terex debuted its all-electric bucket truck on a Class 6/7 medium-duty chassis at the Electric Utility Fleet Managers Conference in June.
6. SoCalGas Successfully Tests Microgrid Demonstration Project
The company's [H2] Innovation Experience in Downey, California, is now using renewable hydrogen that is produced onsite. The project will demonstrate the reliability of a renewable hydrogen microgrid that can power neighborhoods, according to SoCalGas' news release.
7. Terex Names First 9 Utilities to Order New All-Electric Bucket Truck
The company announced nine different utility companies that will recieved the new Terex Optima 55-ft aerial device.
8. MiX Telematics Signs 5-Year Contract with Australian Utility Provider
MiX Telematics Australasia was awarded a contract for power provider, Horizon Power, in Western Australia in August.
9. SoCalGas Is the First to Issue a Green Bond
SoCalGas issued $600 million of 30-year fixed-rate "Green First Mortgage Bonds" under Sempra's Sustainable Financing Framework to directly support the company's sustainability investments.
10. Biden Nominates Utility Former Board Chair to Rejoin TVA
President Joe Biden nominated former board chairman of Tennessee Valley Authority Joe Ritch to rejoin to the TVA board.
For the latest news, sign up for our eNewsletters, subscribe to Work Truck's YouTube channel, and follow us on social media so you never miss news or updates from Work Truck!
See all comments