Ford has introduced the all-new 2023 F-Series Super Duty lineup of pickup trucks and chassis cabs.
New Engine Choices
The new Super Duty offers a broad range of engines:
- New standard 6.8L V-8 gas engine, targeting more low-end torque.
- 7.3L V-8 that is targeting the best gas horsepower and torque in the class thanks to improved air intake and tuning.
- A 6.7L Power Stroke V-8 diesel designed to go longer intervals between oil changes to stay on the job longer.
- New high-output 6.7L Power Stroke V-8 diesel with a unique turbo, upgraded exhaust manifolds and unique tuning targeting the best horsepower and torque in the class.
Every Super Duty features a Ford-designed and built 10-speed TorqShift automatic transmission. Every chassis cab model comes standard with a power take-off connection to run added equipment, like boom lifts and plows. Four-wheel drive is now standard on XLT models and above.
Upfit, Onboard Power Upgrades
The new Ford Pro Upfit Integration System (UIS) is great for customers who rely on body equipment and upfits to accomplish a job, such as utility cranes or plows.
This digital solution provides aftermarket equipment makers with improved access to Super Duty’s electrical system and signals to seamlessly integrate and operate their hardware into the truck’s digital displays.
Cloud-based software connects to the UIS so equipment makers can add digital buttons that allow drivers to control their equipment from inside the truck. The system also allows for high levels of customization and safety interlocks, like preventing the transmission from shifting into drive with a raised boom lift.
Pro Power Onboard is now available for Super Duty. 2.0-kilowatts of output can power a job site or tailgate party. Power outlets are accessible inside the truck and cargo box, or they can be mounted on chassis cabs with a special outlet installation kit.
New available driver-assist technologies are designed to simplify the towing experience and build confidence include:
- Onboard Scales with Smart Hitch that estimates cargo weight in real-time and provides guidance on trailer tongue weight distribution directly on the center touchscreen, FordPass app or within the taillamps.
- 360-Degree Trailer Camera System provides a bird’s-eye view of the trailer to make maneuvering in tight spaces easier and with virtually no blind spots.
- Blind Spot Information System for fifth wheel and gooseneck that can be attached to a trailer to help identify when vehicles are next to a trailer and indicate this in the side view mirrors.
- Available Tailgate Down Camera and Tailgate Down Reverse Sensing System includes a new camera and reverse sensors on the top of the tailgate that provides visual and audible alerts when the tailgate is down to make backing up to a dock or hitching a gooseneck or fifth-wheel trailer easier than ever before.
- Pro Trailer Hitch Assist automatically backs the truck up and aligns the conventional hitch ball to the trailer receiver.
- Trailer Navigation plots routes that can be safely navigated with given trailer dimensions and weight to avoid potential issues with low bridges and tight turns.
“Our goal was to leave drivers with zero blind spots, even when towing the longest trailers,” said Andrew Kernahan, Ford Super Duty chief engineer. “Camera views provide every angle, from simulating a drone to making sure customers can see behind the truck even when the tailgate is down. Hitching and towing has never been easier.”
New Safety Features
There’s also new safety and security available technology:
- Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go and Lane Centering automatically brakes and accelerates to a preset speed and helps keep the truck in its lane.
- Trailer Theft Alert will send an alert via the FordPass app should anyone attempt to disconnect the trailer when the truck is locked.
- Vehicle Security, available with a Ford Pro Telematics subscription, uses sensors to monitor impact and towing events and send alerts even when the vehicle is off.
- Fleet Start Inhibit allows Ford Pro customers to schedule timeframes for when the vehicle can be started to improve confidence around fleet operations
- Forward/Reverse Sensing System helps drivers by showing objects immediately in front of the vehicle and warns when objects are near the front or rear of the vehicle.
- Front and Rear Brake Assist helps prevent low-speed collisions to help automatically protect against hitting objects that may otherwise be hard to see.
- Full-color head-up display helps keep eyes on the road by showing information right in the driver’s line of sight that changes with driving mode.
Ford claims the 2023 Ford Super Duty is the first pickup in the United States with embedded 5G capability. AT&T’s high-performance 5G network will deliver faster navigation, mapping, and music downloads with higher quality than 4G.
Super Duty’s 5G modem from Qualcomm Technologies can also provide a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to 10 devices to help keep workers and families connected on the go, and support Ford Power-Up software updates while driving to keep making the truck better over time.
The all-new Super Duty takes connectivity to the max with Ford Pro, the dedicated business focused on maximizing uptime, accelerating productivity, and lowering costs for commercial customers with a suite of connected vehicles, software, services, and financing.
Super Duty small to large business owners will benefit from software tools such as Ford Pro Fleet Management Software and Ford Pro Telematics, which identify maintenance needs, vehicle locations, driver behaviors, wasted idle time, and more.
Super Duty customers also receive access to Ford’s 650+ Commercial Vehicle Centers, network of 300+ upfitters, and expanding fleet of 700+ Mobile Service Vans, as well as Ford Pro FinSimple, which makes vehicle leasing and purchasing easy and efficient.
New Design Inside and Out
An all-new exterior includes seven new grilles engineered to maximize cooling performance while under heavy loads. The “C-clamp” lighting creates a wide, planted look up front while LED headlamps are now available on all trim levels. Long side vents are functional, reducing under-hood air pressure for improved aerodynamics.
Customers also can opt for new STX, Sport, and Black appearance packages that offer trim, wheel, and paint combinations for a bit more style.
New XL Off-Road package available on F-250 or F-350 4x4 single rear wheel pickup models add rugged 33-inch tires, a raised air dam, water-fording axle vent tubes, skid plates, and an electronic locking rear differential.
The Tremor Off-Road Package includes a front-end lift and uniquely tuned suspension, a Dana front axle with limited-slip differential and axle vent tubes, 35-inch Goodyear tires, unique 18-inch wheels, Trail Control, selectable drive modes including a rock-crawl mode, and new for this year, Trail Turn Assist.
The in-cabin experience is further enhanced with:
- 8-inch center display comes standard on the XL model; a 12-inch display comes standard on higher trims.
- Customizable 12-inch digital instrument cluster.
- Four USB power ports and available wireless charging pad.
- Center console slot holds a tablet upright to make using it easier when parked.
- Max Recline Seats fold almost horizontally and lift the seat bottom up for a nearly flat surface to maximize comfort during downtime.
- 640-watt, eight-speaker B&O Sound System or an optional 1,080-watt, 18-speaker B&O Unleashed Sound System by Bang & Olufsen for a fully immersive audio experience.
The 2023 Ford F-series Super Duty is built at Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville, Kentucky, and Ohio Assembly Plant in Avon Lake, Ohio. Pricing will be available closer to launch in early 2023.