Ford Pro announced the launch of America’s first electric pickup truck purpose-built for police: the 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Pro Special Service Vehicle.
Ford has been providing police departments with the vehicles they need to protect and serve communities for more than 70 years. Currently, Ford Pro customers include more than 12,000 police departments across the country and its police vehicle lineup outsells all other police vehicles combined. The company attributes this success to the automaker’s collaboration with its customers, specifically the Ford Police Advisory Board.
“We're proud to offer America’s first electric police pickup truck to local government customers who can use the truck’s game-changing technology to help improve their productivity,” said Nate Oscarson, Ford Pro national government sales manager. “Pro Power Onboard can serve as a mobile power source to light up evening accident scenes on the highway, the electric powertrain helps to potentially reduce costs associated with fuel and scheduled maintenance needs and the Mega Power Frunk provides extra lockable storage on top of purpose-built police additions our customers have come to expect from the leader in police vehicles.”
The F-150 Lightning Pro SSV is designed to handle specialized departmental needs outside of pursuit situations, such as assisting at an accident or crime scene or giving departments the ability to tow a boat or trailer.
Purpose-built features from F-150 Police Responder include:
- Police-grade heavy-duty cloth seats with reduced bolsters to help holstered officers enter and exit the vehicle.
- Built-in steel intrusion plates in the front seatbacks.
- Available red/blue, amber/white roof-mounted LED warning beacons.
- An upfit-friendly reinforced instrument panel top tray for easy mounting of police equipment.
- Vinyl rear seats and vinyl flooring.
Standard features include:
- Interior: 12-inch digital cluster screen and 12-inch landscape-style touchscreen on the center stack.
- Exterior: Mega Power Frunk gives officers 14.1 cubic feet of lockable cargo area in the front and offers access for upfitters to locate a 220-amp DC-DC power source.
- Targeted performance and capability: 452 horsepower, 775 lb.-ft. of torque5, 7,700-pound towing capacity and 2,235 maximum payload with a standard-range battery, and sub-four-second 0-60 mph acceleration, 580 horsepower, 775 lb.-ft. of torque, and 10,000-pound towing capability with the extended-range battery.
- Technology: Intelligent Range, SYNC, over-the-air Ford Power Up software updates and Ford Co-Pilot360 technology, including Automatic Emergency Braking and Blindspot Information System (BLIS) with Cross-Traffic Alert.
As part of Ford Pro’s platform of connected vehicles, software, and services, the targeted zero-emissions police truck comes pre-configured to connect to a department’s existing fleet of Ford and non-Ford internal combustion engine and battery-electric vehicles, chargers, and fleet management software. When used together, police departments can proactively manage when vehicles are charged and serviced, resulting in potentially lower operating costs and improved uptime.
See all comments