Makita presented more cordless solutions for linesmen and utility installers at the 2021 Utility Expo in Louisville, Kentucky. The company offers solutions for every phase of utilities construction and maintenance, from power generation and transmission to distribution and metering.
Makita's line-up of impact drivers and impact wrenches deliver top speed and fastening torque, with added protections for work in live utility environments.
- 18V LXT brushless 4-speed mid-torque 1/2 in. sq. drive utility impact wrench w/ detent anvil (XWT15XVZ): This compact impact wrench weighs only 4 lbs. and is equipped with a brushless motor that delivers a full 240 ft.-lbs. fastening torque and 430 ft.-lbs. nut-busting torque. It includes added protection features engineered for use in live utility environments.
- 18V LXT brushless mid-torque 4-speed 1/2 in. sq. drive utility impact wrench w/ detent anvil (XWT18XVZ): This mid-torque impact wrench weighs only 6 lbs. and is equipped with a brushless motor that delivers a full 520 ft.-lbs. fastening torque and 740 ft.-lbs. nut-busting torque. It includes added protection features engineered for use in live utility environments.
A drill is a go-to tool in the utilities trade, and Makita has a range of solutions for wood, metal, and concrete.
- 18V LXT brushless right-angle drill ½ in. keyed chuck (XAD05Z): The XAD05Z combines performance with superior ergonomics (weighs only 7.6 lbs. with a slim barrel design). For utility contractors, it’s ideal for framing cross arms and anchoring on poles. Also available with a 7/16” quick-connect chuck, model XAD06Z.
Metal cutting saws are often used in the construction and maintenance of substations. Makita has several cordless options that include circular saws and portable band saws.
- 18V LXT compact brushless band saw (XBP04Z): This compact cutting solution is engineered for a range of cutting applications, and offers a full 2-5/8 in. x 2-5/8 in. capacity. It meets ANSI blade guarding requirements for one-handed operation.
Cordless Outdoor Power Equipment
Vegetation management is a key part of utility equipment installation and maintenance. The new telescoping pole saw is a recent addition, and is ideal for clearing vegetation around utility equipment.
- 18V X2 (36V) LXT brushless 10 in. telescoping pole saw, 13 ft. length (XAU02PTB): This battery-powered pole saw is a welcome solution for utility workers taking on trimming and cutting applications. It delivers the power equivalent of a 30cc gas-powered pole saw but with lower noise, less maintenance, zero emissions, and no hassles with gasoline.
New Web Pages Highlight Solutions for Utilities Trade
Makita has also launched a new website that highlights the full range of products engineered for use in every phase of utilities construction and maintenance.