In November, the Ram Truck announced it will release its Ram 1500 Revolution battery-electric vehicle (BEV) Concept in January.
The time has come. At the CES 2023, RAM shared the Concept which provides a breakdown of its future product. Plus, according to a press release, RAM plans to offer a portfolio of fully electrified solutions, with its first being the Ram 1500 BEV in 2024.
“The Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept is our clearest signal yet that we’re on the precipice of something extraordinary at Ram and points directly to where we’re going on our electrified journey,” said Mike Koval Jr., Ram brand CEO of Stellantis. “At Ram, we’ve redefined what pickup trucks can be and will do so again by pushing past what competitors are offering by delivering the best electric pickups on the market.”
RAM’s Commitment to Innovation
The Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept is part of Ram’s significant contribution to Stellantis’ Dare Forward 2030 strategic plan. The plan’s goal is to offer innovative, clean, safe, and affordable mobility solutions.
“The Ram Revolution represents several important things to the Ram brand,” Koval added. “Of course, it’s our new Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept that serves as a roadmap to our electrified future. Yet Ram Revolution is also our philosophy as we redefine the pickup segment, with a steady drumbeat of announcements and initiatives as we embark on our electrified journey.”
Ram is committed to innovation and powertrain leadership with a lineup design for work truck buyers.
Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept Exterior
According to a Stellantis spokesperson, “This concept is the result of a group effort from our engineering, design, and brand teams.”
The concept focuses on areas that customers care about the most:
- Charge time.
As for the design, Ram’s exterior design team plans to create an ultra-modern concept that exudes strength, maintains its purpose, and is environmentally responsible.
Here are the RAM BEV concept features:
- A new animated “R-A-M” badge that features a fully animated LED “tuning fork” design.
- A grand saloon-style opening doors and space without a B-pillar.
- Bright LED lights in the front bumper flares and advancements in lighting are highlighted by fully animated LED tail lamps and badging.
- Integrated fascia design with a skid plate and new pivoting tow hooks that can sit flush.
- A new powered frunk with one-touch open-and-close functionality that adds capability and storage.
- Other powered features: powered charge-port door, situated on the driver’s side front quarter panel, a powered tailgate, flush-mounted door handles, powered side steps, and a powered rear step with an active diffuser round out the extensive list of powered features.
- Sideview mirrors that are smaller, more lightweight, and use 3-D printed materials for optimal aerodynamics and reducing drag.
- Digital camera on sideway mirrors.
- The charge port illuminates and blinks while charging. An audible sound will signal it’s plugged in and charging has begun. The charge port features level 1 and level 2 AC charging on the top half and DC fast charging on the bottom half of the charger.
- Power multifunction tailgate and a larger RamBox.
- Self-leveling capability and 24-inch wheels with center caps that light up and stay in place.
- A cabin that is four inches longer than today’s production truck.
According to the release, the new proportions are achieved courtesy of the innovative STLA Frame EV platform on which the Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept is built.
New intelligent safety systems and smaller, more powerful electric motors afforded the design team the ability to shift the cabin forward and increase cabin length.
Exterior of the Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept
RAMs calls its interior a “one space environment” because the Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept utilizes one continuous space front to back that enables several different interior configurations.
A significantly more spacious interior and greater cabin length are the results of a new architecture while the battery’s size allows for more cargo volume.
Other interior features include:
- “Ram Track,” Ram’s rail attachment/floor track system, provides cabin flexibility for the seats and console as well as usable tie-downs or another storage potential. “Ram Track” is also incorporated in the frunk as well as the bed allowing for true flexibility from front to back.
- Third-row jump seats. The powered mid-gate features mounted jump seats with a removable lower section for placement in the bed or outside the vehicle. The mid-gate with powered glass enables a pass-through (and into the frunk) that can fit objects up to 18 feet long with the tailgate closed.
- Seating and console flexibility were a focus with the center console’s ability to be removed for even more space.
- The center console armrest can convert into a workstation surface.
- Multiple flexible seating configurations.
- Lightweight seats feature integrated seatbelts, grab handles, and speakers with the ability to fold flat along with extended recline, work, conference modes, and deploying the jump seats.
- Vastly more interior volume benefits second-row and third-row jump seat passengers who enjoy limo-like space.
- The “tuning fork” design stretches the length of the dashboard and continues a theme line to the mid-gate.
- A full touchscreen display comprised of two screens offers up to 28 inches of screen space as the centerpiece of an interior loaded with advanced technology.
- The lower display has three different positions depending on the task at hand – minimal view, extended view, and full-screen view – and can be removed and used in different areas of the truck. The upper screen can also slide on the Ram rail attachment system.
- The rearview mirror has:
- A smart backup camera with 360-degree views.
- Voice assistants such as Alexa and Siri.
- A supplementary backup flood lamp.
- Communication with biometric cameras that observe the truck's environment as it approaches objects and as it’s being approached.
- Digital side-view mirrors and augmented reality (AR) head-up displays (HUD) highlight the onboard advanced technology.
- A flat-top and bottom collapsible steering wheel offers enhanced hand grips with capacitive controls, digital screens, and a lit “RAM” badge.
- Tactile swiping technology enables occupants to configure the sun visors or the entire electro-chromatic roof with the ability to adjust the opaqueness.
- Full glass roof with electro-chromatic panels and integrated roof rails features ambient lightning that’s operated through the overhead console.
- A textured floor that is composed of recycled rubber and cork particles.
- “Greyslate Nanostone” veneer and “Apple” leather, a bi-product from the apple industry that is naturally animal and cruelty-free.
Technology, Connectivity, Convenience
The Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept was designed with the customer’s experience in mind.
It has advanced mobility features that deliver confidence for hardworking people every day, no matter their line of work. The Concept creates a connected hub that brings a consumer’s digital lifestyle into the vehicle, using advanced technology to create a customized space for each occupant.
Some unique technology features on the Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept vehicle include:
- Vehicle Personal Assistant – Artificial Intelligence (AI)-powered virtual assistant that enhances in-vehicle and exterior interaction with users. A 3D Ram avatar acts as the vehicle's face, responding to various voice commands from users.
- Shadow Mode – Voice control enables the Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept to follow commands from the owner while they’re outside the vehicle, such as close the windows, play music, take a picture, and “follow me.” The vehicle will automatically follow the driver walking ahead of the vehicle. This voice-activated feature can be useful in situations where the driver needs to move a short distance and doesn't want to get back in the truck, such as when picking up tools or equipment from a job site. The truck will follow the driver at a safe distance, using sensors and camera technology to navigate around obstacles. This innovation increases efficiency making the job easier and more convenient
- My Day – Intelligent trip planning based on users’ schedules and preferences to provide suggestions at the right time and the right location
- Cabin Mode – Cabin Modes are “one button” settings that adjust multiple aspects of the cabin experience at once, based on the use case. They include options such as Productivity Mode, Social Mode, Party Mode, Relax Mode, and User-created modes. Adjustments include the interior lighting, seat position and orientation, window and skylight opacity, vehicle suspension, sound zones, and display content
- Advanced Augmented Reality (AR) Heads-up Display (HUD) – This feature combines AR HUD and advanced camera and sensor technology to provide enhanced driving assistance. See-through vision uses camera and sensor technology to create an experience that allows the driver to see objects outside of their normal view on the AR HUD. The AR HUD can also display information.
- Intelligent storage app – a mobile application that helps users measure objects to determine if they can be transported with their vehicle. To obtain an object’s dimensions, users can scan the product’s barcode or utilize a built-in augmented reality camera measuring tool. The mobile app will show users how the object can best be positioned in their vehicle, and internal and external cabin projectors assist by displaying guides on the target storage location.
- Adjustable and removable lower display – can be used as a tablet, passenger display, truck bed workstation, vehicle control, or video game controller. The two 14.2-inch displays can be combined to provide a larger viewing area.
- Smart Home Control – the user can control their smart home from the infotainment screen, adjusting devices such as lights, cameras, thermostats, and sound systems.
- Advanced camera and sensor system – multiple cameras and sensors work together to enhance the driving experience and provide additional functions, such as 3D capture, biometric identity recognition, and 360 photos and video capture
- Exterior projector – multiple built-in projectors provide an efficient way to visually communicate information to the user. The projectors also double as a mobile movie theater, allowing the owner to have movie night anytime, anywhere
- Autonomous capabilities – In Level 3+ autonomous mode the vehicle retracts the steering wheel to provide additional space for the driver. Interior lights, the AR HUD, smarts seats, and the steering wheel work together to provide next-level situational awareness to the driver
Battery-Electric Power Focuses on Capability and Performance
The Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept features all-wheel-drive capability and is powered by two electric drive modules (EDMs), which are positioned toward the front and rear of the vehicle, maximizing interior space and enabling the cavernous frunk.
Designed to accommodate larger capacity EDMs, the Ram 1500 BEV concept offers the potential for future high-performance applications.
The Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept can add up to 100 miles of range in approximately 10 minutes with 800-volt DC fast charging at up to 350 kW.
As part of the Ram brand’s focus on providing consumers with a growing and vast array of leading-edge advanced technology, Ram showcased a new inductive robot charger – or Ram Charger – at CES 2023.
It detects the vehicle's presence and its charging needs, and automatically moves into position, and aligns itself under the vehicle. The smart-charge capability will allow charging during an off-peak time, providing more convenience and peace of mind for our customers.
The Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept features four-wheel steering with up to 15 degrees of articulation and is designed to offer greater vehicle maneuverability while parking at low speed, and on tight off-road trails, and increases the vehicle’s steering response at high speeds.
Based on the Company’s STLA Frame platform, the Ram 1500 Revolution BEV concept features a body-on-frame design that incorporates the battery pack efficiently.
Adjustable air suspension enables three different modes: ingress/egress, aero, and off-road.
See all comments