BYD (Build Your Dreams), manufacturer of zero-emission vehicles in Los Angeles County, implemented stringent safety protocols and begun a phased reopening of its Lancaster Coach and Bus manufacturing plant. As it reopens, BYD will continue to follow guidelines for safe operations set by California, Los Angeles County, and the City of Lancaster while ramping up vehicle production.
“The health and safety of our employees and our community is our top priority,” said Stella Li, BYD North America President. “The systems we have implemented here will serve to protect our workers and the citizens of our entire community.”
As it reopens, BYD is focused on the safety of its workforce, many of whom are members of the Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation (SMART) Union, Local 105. The company’s Human Resources team has adopted an innovative multi-point safety protocol, which includes:
- Social Distancing, including markings at all crowd gathering places to facilities social distancing.
- Screening and Monitoring, including non-contact body temperature scanning before anyone can enter the plant.
- Disinfection and Sanitation, including regular sanitation of all common areas and touch-prone areas and promoting the use of sanitizers.
- Prevention and Awareness, including providing and requiring the use of Personal Protection Equipment such as masks and gloves for all employees, and promoting safety awareness through training, posters, and memos.
- Promoting safety practices at home for workers, such as Sanitizing personal vehicles, avoiding gatherings, and frequent and vigorous hand washing.
Following state, county, and City of Lancaster safety guidelines, BYD limited operations at the manufacturing plant in mid-March. Only employees deemed essential, such as those providing service and care to transit agency customers, worked during this period. Although its manufacturing operation was paused, BYD continued to serve Lancaster, Los Angeles County, and its customers through the donations of Personal Protection Equipment to fight the spread of COVID-19. BYD has donated over $1 million worth of PPE items including masks and sanitizers.