College Station, Texas — At a Transportation Technology Conference at the Texas A&M University Transportation Institute, Shell Lubricants took a break from the theoretical discussion on the future of trucking to offer a new Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 heavy-duty engine oil.
According to Dan Acry, Shell Rotella’s global OEM technical manager, the newly blended oil is specially formulated to provide hardworking protection under the full range of pressures and temperatures in mobile natural gas engines as well as diesel and gasoline engines. Arcy added that the hew oil is particularly relevant for waste haul trucks and buses operating with 100 percent compressed natural gas (CNG) and liquefied natural gas (LNG) fueled engines.
“Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 meets the specifications for natural gas, diesel and gasoline engines, making it a true multi-vehicle engine oil that will help fleets consolidate the number of engine oils they need in their shop,” added Megan Pino, Shell Rotella Global Brand Manager. “We continually look at the needs of fleets and develop engine oils to keep their vehicles performing well while helping to minimize maintenance complexities.”
Natural engines, with their spark combustion, run significantly hotter than diesel engines. Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 has been specially formulated for use in natural gas-powered vehicles in order to manage their high heat and provide the necessary engine protection.
However, Arcy noted, the fact that the new oil can be used by fleets for multiple engine types helps fleets work smarter and more cost effectively. “We know fleets don’t like to carry multiple engine oil grades,” he said. “It increases the risk of misapplication during oil changes and increases costs in terms of purchasing and storage with additional tanks. Shell Rotella T4 NG eliminates those problems.”
According to Arcy, Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 offers several key benefits for fleets:
- Advanced Piston and Engine Cleanliness – An optimized balance of detergent and dispersancy provides good piston and engine cleanliness and ensures long and efficient operation.
- Ignition System Protection – The formulation contains additives to control the deposit formulation in the combustion chamber to help prolong the life of valves and spark plugs.
- Emissions System Compatibility – The low ash formulation helps protect the exhaust catalysts and particulate filters found on the latest low emission vehicles.
- Suitable for Natural Gas, Diesel and Gasoline engines – Mixed fleets can benefit from using one oil for multiple engine type, thus minimizing maintenance complexity.
The specifications, approvals and recommendations for Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 include:
- API CK-4
- API SN
- Cummins CES 20092 (replacing CES 20085 which becomes obsolete December 31, 2019)
- Cummins CES 20086
- Detroit Diesel DFS 93K222
- Mack EO-S 4.5
- Volvo VDS-4.5
Arcy also announced Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 0W-40 heavy-duty diesel engine oil at the Texas A&M conference. This newly formulated oil is now licensed as API CK-4 service category, he said, adding that it is designed to meet the needs of advanced engine technologies for both on-road and off-road vehicles and equipment.
“Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 0W-40 heavy-duty engine oil is intended for engines operating in tough, cold weather,” Pino said. “This low-viscosity engine oil which now meets the current CK-4 engine oil standard provides the low-temperature performance needed to keep trucks and off-highway equipment moving in harsh conditions.”
Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 0W-40 heavy-duty engine oil is formulated with Triple Protection Plus technology. Arcy said the engine oil is designed to provide protection against wear, deposits and oil breakdown and offers excellent pumpability at low operating temperatures.
Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 0W-40 is suitable for on-road and off-road applications requiring API CK-4 engine oil. The exclusive low ash formulation helps protect the exhaust catalysts and particulate filters found on the latest low emission diesel vehicles. “If you’re a fleet operating in harsh winter conditions, this oil will help your trucks turn over and crank faster,” Arcy added.
Arcy said the key benefits of Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 0W-40 include:
- Outstanding Wear Performance – Advanced wear protection for long engine life.
- Excellent Deposit Control – The advanced multi-functional dispersant additives in combination with synthetic base oils provide and enhanced level of protection against the effects of soot, dirt and other contaminants.
- Improved Heat Resistance – The oil resists breakdown by heat to provide continuous protection throughout the service interval.
- Protection in Extreme Climates – Provides improved low temperature flow compared to a conventional SAE 15W-40.
- Emissions Systems Compatibility – Advanced low-ash formulation helps control blocking of or poisoning of exhaust after-treatment devices, helping maintain DPF service life.
Specifications, Approvals and Recommendations for Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 0W-40:
- API CK-4, CJ-4
- Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2, ECF-1A
- Cummins CES 20086
- Ford WSS-M2C171-F1
- Mack EO-S 4.5
- Volvo VDS-4.5, VDS-4
Originally posted on Trucking Info
See all comments