Dana Incorporated announced that The Ultimate Dana 60 and The Ultimate Dana 44 axles for the Jeep Wrangler JK will be available with an ARB Air Locker option. This feature will be available on The Ultimate Dana 60 axle at the end of 2016 and on The Ultimate Dana 44 axle in the Spring of 2017.
The ARB Air Locker utilizes a pneumatically operated locking system located inside the differential. When activated, the system stops the differential gears from rotating, preventing the axle shafts from turning independently of each other. With both wheels locked into the rotation of the ring gear, the vehicle maintains maximum traction at all times. When unlocked, it operates just like a conventional “open” differential.
The Ultimate Dana 60 axles, introduced at SEMA 2014, are bolt-in replacement upgrades for front and rear axles on the Jeep Wrangler. The axles feature:
- 35-spline, nickel chromoly steel axle shafts designed for higher torque, larger tires, and off-road punishment;
- A greatly enhanced carrier with Spicer performance ring and pinion gearing;
- Massive SPL 70 u-joints, exclusive to Dana;
- Full-float design for greater load-carrying capacity; and
- Upgraded, heavy-duty brakes with plug-and-play ABS.
The Ultimate Dana 44 axle, introduced at last year’s SEMA show, is a bolt-in replacement upgrade for front axles on all Jeep Wranglers from 2007 to the present. Among the improvements incorporated into The Ultimate Dana 44 axle are:
- Increased axle tube thickness to 5/16 inch for improved strength, rigidity, and durability;
- Redesigned, thicker brackets with 1/4-inch steel;
- Nickel chromoly axle shafts designed for optimal strength and performance;
- Spicer Life Series 1350 u-joints with triple lip seals and full-circle clips for ultimate protection and retention; and
- High-strength nodular iron performance differential cover with a Spicer performance gasket.
ARB Air Locker systems employ a 12-volt ARB air compressor (not included with Ultimate Dana 44 or 60 axles) designed to activate/deactivate the locking mechanism inside the differential. The ARB Air Locker features forged gears and an improved two-piece design that adds increased strength and durability. These design improvements have reduced the number of moving parts, resulting in a much firmer and responsive activation along with increased load bearing capabilities.
More information about the ARB Air Locker option is available at www.SpicerParts.com, or by calling Dana Customer Service at (800) 621-8084.