Maxwell Technologies is expanding its ultracapacitor-based Engine Start Module product line to medium-duty Class 3-6 trucks. The ESM ULTRA 31/900 replaces traditional lead-acid starting batteries, virtually eliminating cranking problems that come from weak or discharged batteries.
The ESM ULTRA 31/900 is a no-acid, lead-free energy storage solution that weighs less than one-fourth of the Group 31 lead-acid battery it replaces.
Maxwell's ESM ULTRA 31/900 delivers the quick-burst power trucks need to crank their engines down to 40 below zero. The new ESM is rugged and lightweight at just 16 pounds. It delivers reliable starts and allows extensive use of lift-gates and buckets while the engine is off without fear of the truck not starting. It stays fully charged even when the truck's lead-acid battery is as low as 9.5V.
Consistent with the current ESM product, the new ESM ULTRA 31/900 provides the following features and benefits:
- 900 cold cranking amperes (CCA), or a three-second crank;
- Reliable starting for diesel engines up to 9.9 liters at temperatures from -40°F to 149°F
- Low maintenance operation and life-of-the-vehicle reliability;
- Industry standard Group 31 form factor for easy integration with battery systems;
- Built-in quick charging system (15 minutes or less);
- Extended battery life, full compatibility with existing battery systems;
- Four year unlimited warranty.
Check out a video all about the Ultracapicitor below: