Power management company Eaton has expanded the company’s UltraShift PLUS automated transmission offerings with a new A-Ratio model specifically designed for a wide range of extreme performance applications. The new MXP (multipurpose extreme performance) transmissions have lower overall numerical ratios and higher torque ratings.
The ratios and even steps on the new transmissions deliver better shift performance to improve grade shifting in hilly and mountainous conditions, according to the company. The 18-speed A-Ratio transmissions, when designed into the appropriate driveline, can allow for unlimited payloads.
“These new A-Ratio transmissions are ideal for demanding applications such as those encountered on routes where steep grades are present and when vehicles are pulling extra heavy payloads,” said Ryan Trzybinski, product planning manager for Eaton.
Production begins in January 2015. The standard UltraShift PLUS warranties, which are dependent on application, remain the same for the newest application expansion to Eaton’s lineup of automated transmissions.
As part of the Performance Series of UltraShift PLUS transmissions, the A-Ratio transmissions use an electronic clutch actuator to provide faster shifting and smoother engagement. At idle the clutch fully engages giving drivers excellent control in challenging situations. Shift selection software uses changes in grade, weight and throttle control to calculate the most efficient and effective shift points, according to the company.
Additional features include:
- Fully automated two-pedal design (no clutch pedal).
- On/Off-highway performance design.
- Safety features, such as auto neutral and Intelligent Hill Start Aid, which prevents roll-back and roll-forward while launching on grades using foundation wheel brakes.
- Automatic, Manual and Low modes offering full control for drivers.
- Creep Mode.
- Pairing to the highest torque engines available today with torque capacities ranging from 1450 lb.-ft. (1966 Nm) through 2250 lb.-ft.
- World class start-ability and ratio coverage.
- Unlimited gross combination weight in 18-speed models.